Vantage EDI Challenges?
…DCS EDI Consultants Can Help!
DCS’ decade of practical experience with Epicor’s Vantage™ ERP solution can help you meet key customer requirements. We can ensure your project is done thoroughly, quickly, and economically. The significant enhancements to the Demand Management with Advanced EDI™ (user interface and Service Connect™) gateway makes more process automation economically achievable. We can help you integrate your Vantage system with your existing system or help you select an appropriate EDI translator to integrate with. We have experience with a products such as: Sterling Commerce’s Gentran:Server™, GXS’ TrustedLink™ and Biz™ products, Global eXchange Service’s Application Integrator™, Tie Commerce’s eVision™, and others. Here’s how it works:
- Customer Orders automatically enter the Sales Order Module, where they are suspended pending Customer Service approval. The most common corrections before approval are to part-numbers, prices and ship-to addresses.
- Orders that can be automated include INbound Purchase Orders (ANSI AIAG 850 or EDIFACT ORDERS), Inbound Purchase Order Changes (860 or ORDCHG), INbound Releases (830 or DELFOR), and Shipment Schedules (862 or DELJIT). This means all methods of receiving customer orders come to the same point for Customer Service approval.
- Shipment Notices (ASN, 856, DESADV) flow out automatically when the order is closed. Flags may be set to ensure data that could cause a chargeback must be sent.
- Invoices (810, INVOIC) are also automatically sent.
- Order Acknowledgements (855 or ORDRSP)
- Other EDI documents can be integrated in a matter of days.
EDI is an effective gateway for most modules: Customer Relationship Management, Supply Chain, Production Management, Planning & Scheduling, Product Data, and Financial.
Integration with Vantage is straightforward but not trivial. The challenge is activating the several dozen correct fields among the hundreds available for each document and direction. The interface structure can be complex and difficult to tackle. For example, when a major Tier II automotive customer sends you a Release that covers multiple plants a cross-reference, user exit or script may be needed.
We work with the three components of reliable and economical EDI:
- The Vantage EDI interface
- Your existing EDI system
- Secure Internet data transmission (AS2 or AS3)
EDI too often is an afterthought during the Vantage implementation, or comes up suddenly as an “on demand” project requested by a key customer that needs to be completed yesterday. In both scenarios you are forced to piece together a workable solution. This is something that you must do well and ensure that the best business practices are being followed, since future development is built upon this foundation.
Here are the necessary deliverables you must provide:
- Identify key resources and opportunities in your environment.
- Develop the project plan with all of its appropriate components (including training).
- Set up your development and test EDI systems.
- Create a comprehensive map for each key Transaction Set, e.g. INbound Purchase Order (850).
- Customize the comprehensive map for each customer.
- Set up and test communications between the translator and the interface.
- Set up data transmission testing: setting AS2 or FTP over your VPN to your customer’s test mailbox. This is done while working closely with the firewall manager.
- Set up the tables required to receive/send (Data File Structure, Partner Cross-References, Partner Profiles, Code Conversion, etc.).
- Set up the document types and processing rules.
- Check to ensure all customer locations and their part numbers are loaded.
- Set the inbound control record and record keys (1-100). Many are re-usable.
- Install and test the finished maps and setup.
- Train users (Customer Service, Accounts Receivable, and more).
- Train I.T. (daily operations and mapping).
- Have help available for support if needed.
The EDI perspective is clear: the Vantage EDI gateway is robust and reliable. Popular integrations are with automotive companies (including agricultural and construction) and consumer products.
- DCS has experience with most of the 300 U.S. companies conducting X12, GS1, or EDIFACT EDI.
- Popular transaction sets such as Inbound PO’s (850), Outbound ASN’s (856), Outbound Invoices (810), Inbound Releases (830), and Outbound PO Acknowledgements (855) have been implemented at many of our customers.
- Connections using secure Internet (EDI INT AS2) reduce cost by elimination of Value Added Networks.
- Finally, DCS has helped many companies convert their EDI from lesser MRP systems to Vantage.
You will enjoy a wider fulfillment window when the data entry step is eliminated because Customer Service has more time to scrutinize orders. You will also avoid costly, last minute changes and expedited shipments.
Let DCS help you with your first few trading partners, since setting Vantage EDI is straight forward but not trivial. Since 2000 DCS EDI consultants have assisted many Vantage users in your industry with EDI upgrades. DCS can help build your EDI foundation or add more process automation using our time-proven ERP conversion service. DCS is eager to work with your Vantage provider/consultant. Our experience is with the EDI/E-C Gateway: we do not seek non-EDI work. Having DCS set the first few customers and connection parameters, makes subsequent customers easier for you to add and will lower the cost of implementation and hasten payback.
We can help you determine if your existing EDI system can be integrated to Vantage. Contact DCS for your no cost assessment.
For Additional Information:
Vantage EDI integration