PeopleSoft EDI Challenges?
…DCS Can Help!
Data Communication Solutions has in-depth experience with PeopleSoft’s Enterprise™ ERP system, including the Transformation Agents™ and Z-file™ interfaces. We do integrations to IBM’s Gentran:Server™ and Sterling B2B Integration, GXS’ TrustedLink™ Biz™ Application Integrator™, and TIE KINETIX’s eVision™. We can help you determine if you can integrate Enterprise with your existing EDI system.
- Enterprise has new interface formats that require re-mapping. This is also the time to add new fields (elements) and connect to trucking and parcel carriers.
- DCS can help you set direct, secure connections to eliminate pricey EDI networks.
Integration with PeopleSoft for benefit transactions such as enrollment is straightforward, but not trivial. The challenge is activating the several dozen correct fields among the hundreds available for each document and direction. The interface structure can be complex and difficult to tackle. For example, custom rules, user exits or scripts are frequently used when mapping to/from the interface.
We work with the three components of reliable and economical EDI:
- The EDI gateway
- Your existing EDI system
- Secure Internet data transmission (AS2 or FTPS)
EDI too often is an afterthought during a PeopleSoft implementation, or comes up suddenly as an “on demand” project requested by a customer or an insurer that needs to be completed yesterday. In both scenarios you are forced to piece together a workable solution quickly. This is something that you must do well and ensure best business practices are being followed, since future development is built on this foundation.
Here are the necessary deliverables you must provide:
- Identify key resources and opportunities in your environment.
- Develop the project plan with all of its appropriate components (including training).
- Set up your development and test EDI systems.
2. EDI Development
- Create a comprehensive map for each key Transaction Set, e.g. OUTbound Benefit Enrollment (834).
- Customize the comprehensive map for each provider.
- Set up and test communications between the EDI system and the interface.
- Set up data transmission testing: setting AS2 or FTPS to your customer’s test mailbox. This is done while working closely with the firewall manager.
- Archive off the old EDI system and data.
3. PeopleSoft Development
- Set up the tables required to receive/send (Data File Structure, Partner Cross-References, Partner Profiles, Code Conversion, etc.).
- Set up the document types and processing rules.
- Check to ensure all customer locations and their part numbers are loaded.
- Install and test the finished maps and setup.
- Train users (Customer Service, Accounts Receivable, and more).
- Train I.T. (daily operations and mapping).
- Have help available for support if needed.
Let DCS help you build your EDI foundation or add more process automation. Setting up PeopleSoft Enterprise’s EDI/E-C Gateway is straight forward but not trivial. We recommend our DCS NEXT LEVEL™ Conversion service.
- Most of the US companies requiring X12, EDIFACT, or GS1 (standardized XML) are well known to DCS.
- Popular transaction sets such as Outbound Enrollment (834), Inbound PO’s (850), Outbound ASN’s (856), Outbound Invoices (810), Inbound Releases (830), and Outbound PO Acknowledgements (855) have been implemented at many of our customers. You should also consider 3PL EDI (94x series) and Transportation EDI (21x series).
- DCS experience extends to the add-ons for PeopleSoft Enterprise created by the above EDI systems.
- Data transmission set up is a specialty of DCS. Connections using EDI INT AS2 (HTTPS in batch mode) reduce cost by elimination of pricey Value Added Networks.
- We are experts with the EDI/E-C Gateway and ERP modules of PeopleSoft Enterprise. Unfortunately, many PeopleSoft developers do not have experience with EDI.
- DCS also has experience writing directly to Oracle database tables, but recommends use of the PeopleSoft Enterprise Gateway.
- Finally, DCS has helped many companies convert their EDI from lesser MRP systems to PeopleSoft Enterprise.
Your mapping will be thorough, quick, and economical due to our many years of EDI experience. Having DCS develop the first few Trading Partners and data transmission set up lowers the cost of implementation and hastens payback. Using a seasoned expert who knows EDI and the PeopleSoft Enterprise™ Gateway will save you time and headaches. We are eager to work with your PeopleSoft provider/consultant too. Our experience is with the EDI/E-C Gateway: we do not seek non-EDI work.
Your first step is easy, email DCS for your free assessment.