MAPICS (XA) EDI Challenges?
…DCS Can Help!
DCS has in-depth experience working with Infor’s ERP XA™ (formerly MAPICS). We can help you integrate your MAPICS system with your existing EDI system or help you select an appropriate EDI package. We have experience working with translators such as:
- GXS’ TrustedLink™ (TLi) for AS400 and the newer BizManager™ products
- IBM’s Gentran:Server™ for the IBM Series i
- Extol’s EDI Integrator™
- and other translators on most platforms.
- Our experience significantly lowers the cost of automating EDI, as we are familiar with XATM, your EDI system, and your key customer’s EDI/E-C requirements.
We can help you determine if you can integrate your existing EDI system to MAPICS at a reasonable cost. (For MAPICS Windows Server 200x™ users, DCS can help with other EDI systems as well)
Integration with Infor’s MAPICS is straightforward but not trivial. The challenge is properly activating fields in numerous files among the hundreds available for each document and direction. The interface structure can be complex and difficult to tackle. For example, user exits or scripts are frequently used when mapping to/from the interface.
We work with the three components of reliable and economical EDI:
- The MAPICS gateway
- Your existing EDI system
- Secure Internet data transmission (AS2 or AS3)
DI too often is an afterthought during the MAPICS Release 7™ upgrade, or comes up suddenly as an “on demand” project requested by a key customer that needs to be completed yesterday. In both scenarios you are forced to piece together a workable solution. This is something that you must do well and ensure that best business practices are followed, since future development is built on this foundation. Reliable and effective EDI is the first block upon which Infor’s Open SOATM is built. Event driven SOA well scrubbed data.
Here are the necessary deliverables you must provide:
- Identify key resources and opportunities in your MAPICS environment.
- Develop the project plan with all of its appropriate components (including training).
- Set up your development and test EDI systems.
- Create a comprehensive map for each key Transaction Set, e.g. INbound Purchase Orders (850).
- Customize the comprehensive map for each customer.
- Set up and test communications between the translator and MAPICS.
- Set up data transmission testing: setting AS2 or FTP over your VPN to your customer’s test mailbox. This is done while working closely with the firewall manager.
- Archive off the old EDI system and data.
- Set up the MAPICS files required to receive/send files (Port setup, Partner Cross-References, Partner Profiles, etc.).
- Identify the documents used and the flat file layouts of those documents to/from MAPICS.
- Work with your ERP programmer to help define any custom MAPICS requirements and set up any customized flat file capability.
- Setting MAPICS EC for inbound Planning Schedules (Releases, 830 or DELFOR) or Shipment Schedules (862 or DELJIT) is straightforward, but not trivial.
- Install and test the finished maps and setup.
- Train users (Customer Service, Accounts Receivable, and more).
- Train I.T. (daily operations and mapping).
- Have help available for support if needed.
Let DCS help build your EDI foundation or add more process automation. Since MAPICS mapping is not trivial, we recommend our NEXT LEVEL™ Conversion service. Your mapping will be thorough, quick, and economical due to our many years of MAPICS EDI experience in your industry. Having DCS develop the first few Trading Partners and communication parameters lowers the cost of implementation and hastens payback.
Here are the reasons a consultant can help:
- Most of the US companies requiring X12, EDIFACT, or GS1 (standardized XML) are well known to DCS.
- We have experience with cross-industry EDI transaction sets, not only Inbound PO’s (850 or ORDERS), Outbound ASN’s (856 or DESADV), Outbound Invoices (810 or INVOIC), but also the 3PL (94x series) transactions and Transportation (21x series) transactions.
- DCS uses the add-ons for MAPICS created by the EDI systems providers that can save cost.
- Communications set-up is a specialty of DCS. Connections using EDI INT AS2 (HTTPS in batch mode) reduce cost by elimination of pricey VANs.
- Documentation and Training are a must when implementing any EDI program.
Finally, DCS has helped many companies implement and/or maintain EDI in their MAPICS system. Using a seasoned expert who knows EDI and MAPICS will save you time and headaches. With experienced professionals, you can avoid common pitfalls when implementing EDI with your MAPICS application. DCS is eager to work with your MAPICS provider/consultant. Our experience is with the EDI/E-C Gateway: we do not seek non-EDI work. Your first step is easy, email DCS for your free assessment.
For Additional Information: